2012-present | Blomeyer & Sanz | Guadalajara [ES] | Senior Researcher
Research topics: anti-corruption, good governance, EU tax fraud, administrative law, transparency, integrity, accountability, public procurement fraud (i.e. in EU structural funds), organised crime, compliance in fisheries, collective action against corruption.
Impact assessments and (policy) evaluations:
Consultancy/evaluation work for governmental international organisations:
- Council of Europe (anti-corruption capacity development programmes and human rights and healthcare in prisons – Europe).
- OECD (migration and development policy – global).
- OSCE (SALW and SCA projects – Europe).
- Global Fund to Fight AIDS, Tuberculosis and Malaria (integrity monitor for public procurement).
- Global Development Network (research capacity programmes – Latin-America, Africa, Asia and Europe).
Consultancy/evaluation work for non-governmental (international) organisations:
- Transparency International (civil monitoring tools for public procurement – Europe and global review).
- Club de Madrid (promoting democratic dialogue in Haiti).
- Oxfam (promoting dialogue between civil society and government, enhancing citizen participation in public policy in the Dominican Republic – World Bank).
- Open Government Partnership (assessment of the OGP’s independent review mechanism).
- U4 Anti-corruption resource centre (research on collective action against corruption).
Consultancy/research work for EU Institutions:
- European Parliament (Budgetary Control committee, Corruption, Organised Crime and Money Laundering committee, Fisheries committee, Pana committee, Regional Development committee).
- European Commission (Directorate-General Home Affairs).
- European Fisheries Control Agency (5-year independent external evaluation).
External expertise for the European Parliament Committee on Civil Liberties, Justice and Home Affairs (framework contract 2014-2018), police and judicial cooperation in criminal matters and data protection, asylum policy.
Project management and communication:
- Tendering, grant applications; project planning and coordinating; ensuring effective financial management, reporting and control.
Pro-bono support to the EU think tank initiative at the Fundación Carlos de Amberes (Madrid).
2011-2012 | Transparency International España | Madrid [ES] | Project Coordinator
- planning and coordinating the NIS assessment
- concerting advocacy on the studies and findings
- contributing to the regional dimension projects by collaborating with other project partners
- ensuring effective financial management, reporting and control
2008-2010 | Centre for European Policy Studies [CEPS] | Brussels [BE] | Junior Researcher at the Politics and Institutions Unit
- Research and publications on EU institutions and politics, EU Treaties
- Coordination of European research and development programmes. Tendering, coordinating and evaluating projects [i.e., FP VII, EU operational grants, public calls]
- Management of the European Policy Institutes Network
- Media-outreach to, i.e., BBC (UK), CSMonitor.com (US), Deutsche Welle (DE), Knack and De Tijd (BE)
2006-2007 | Public Prosecution Service | Rotterdam [NL] | Analyst for a project dealing with multiple crime offenders
- Assisting in a project on improving cooperation between City Council, Police and Justice Department of the city of Rotterdam
- Analysing personal criminal files of offenders.
2005-2006 | Amnesty International | Madrid [ES] | Internship at the Department of Juvenile Issues and the Coalition against the Use of Child Soldiers
- Supporting work for EU-advocacy and administrative tasks.
2011-2017 | Instituto Universitario Ortega y Gasset, Universidad Complutense de Madrid| Madrid [ES] | PhD in Government and Public Administration
2006-2010 | Ghent University – Centre of EU-Studies | Ghent [BE] | Master in European Union Studies
2001-2006 | The Hague University | The Hague [NL] | Bachelor in European Studies, major: Public Administration, minors: Communication Management and Business Management
2004-2005 | Mount Royal University | Calgary [CA] | Exchange programme at the Department of Justice